Thursday, April 3, 2014

A future world I don't want to live in

I can actually say that I thoroughly enjoyed this novel- I found myself confused a lot, it was pretty depressing, and it took a while to reach the climax, but I was still really engaged with the plot. I enjoyed that there really was no protagonist- because essentially everyone was bad. It was an interesting twist.

A book like this one is very different from other post-apocalyptic worlds that authors have written about- most recent in my mind was “The Road,” and this tale was extremely different. I think that the sci-fi part of the novel took away just a little bit of the legitimacy of the novel from a scientific perspective—but most of it also wasn’t too unrealistic. Our world is moving in a direction of gene-ripping and being able to create human beings unnaturally, so the idea of a Windup girl isn’t impossible.

I believe that the novel needed to give context to the environmental disaster that they lived in. We knew about the expansion and the contraction, but giving no context made it difficult to envision the current world that the characters lived in. The lesson of the book from the last two pages was “we need trade and globalization, we can’t survive on our own.” Beside the fact that I thought it was said so blatantly that it just seemed like an easy plug, I wanted to know how this related to the disasters that got these characters to what they were. From analyzing the few clues that the author gave us, my thoughts were the “expansion” was the age of globalization, and like many things that expand, they often burst, which let them into the “contraction,” or isolationism.

I think it was an interesting that the author made technology regressive, not progressive (something we discussed in our group in class). This futuristic world should have technology we don’t see today, however, we can assume from the details in the novel that humans were unable to find an alternative energy source to foster new technology. As previously mentioned, we have no context of what happened before the era that the characters currently live in- so we don’t know if resource shortages caused the problem, human error, etc. The characters lived essentially in a petroleum-free world, something we so heavily depend on today. By taking away our most common energy source, we can see where we end up- even the radios are hand cranked.

The summary of the novel on the back of the book said in this world, calories were currency. This concept wasn’t really developed and I think would have been strongest tool to connect the future with apocalyptic decline and regressive society. However, money was still extremely prevalent as the main currency because bribes were the only way to survive. If calories truly were currency, I believe readers would better understand the urgency to act today to ensure proper food development and security. However, the overriding theme of the book was that the East was still dependent on America for the GMO food such as U-Tex rice. Calories as currency would have taken the reader back to the time where bartering good and services was a means for survival. I actually think this concept encourages readers to act less- Americans see that they are still okay for survival and the rest of the world is dependent on them- in no way does this help today’s society become proactive. Imagine if the book was reversed and it took place in America and we were dependent on the far-East for survival. That role switch could make the difference of a reader imagining themselves in that world or just imagining other people in that world.


4 comments:

  1. I didn't read the back of the book, but I think it is interesting that they used the term "calories as currency" because I felt that as the novel developed, the importance of the calories diminished. Yes, I think the author got the point across that calories were scarce and that food was in danger of many diseases, but I don't think that enough focus was given to these companies. I forgot throughout most of the book that Anderson worked for a calorie company becasue this wasn't emphasized, rather he was emphasized more as a foreigner and businessman in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really intersting- I actually had to re-read the back of the book a few times to figure out who Anderson's character was. I forgot he was essentially a bad-guy. Well, really, everyone was a bad guy (which I thought was pretty interesting). Also for food being so scare, it was interesting that they still even had restaurants and bars and a part of the economy--especially when even ice was a treat. It just didn't all click together for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last comment about a reversal between the US and the far-East is really interesting! I think that, while probably less realistic, this would have a much bigger shock value than the way Bacigalupi wrote it.
    Also, The Road is one of my favorite books! It is definitely a completely different take on a post-apocalyptic, post-climate change (potentially) world where nothing survives except for a few people, many of whom are cannibals. I honestly can't say what future I would find more realistic if I had to choose between the two. I feel like there are some aspects in each novel that I find more realistic than others; for example, the lack of animals and plants in The Road and sea level rise in The Windup Girl. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that developing the "calories as currency" idea would have been the best idea to further develop in the book. Many poorer nations don't have basic survival necessities, and to them, calories are currency. Also, I have heard in a previous class that world hunger is not a problem of food quantity but food distribution, which further connects to currency. In our world, such a small percentage holds a majority of the money that exists, and similarly, wealthier countries have more than adequate access to food, while poorer nations struggle everyday to get themselves fed. If the food was better allocated among the poorer nations, world hunger would easily become much less of a problem.

    ReplyDelete