Friday, April 4, 2014

Generipping and Regressive Technology?

While at times this book seemed unnecessarily long, I found the last 100 pages or so to be at least moderately thrilling and able to hold my attention. From a literary standpoint, I enjoyed the set-up of the novel. I felt the chapters divided by different characters and story lines helped to give the overall storyline some context in this futuristic world. I do think, however, that the novel could have been improved with an introduction or some sort of background information on the “expansion,” the system of government in place, or what Des Moines really was.

For me, on of the most interesting elements of “The Windup Girl” was the corruption throughout the novel. While reading, I had the same uncomfortable feeling as I sometimes get when watching “House of Cards;” that feeling you get when a character is about to be ruined and you know it, but they do not see it coming. Corruption ran rampant wherever you looked in this city. Hock Seng’s plan to steal from SpringLife’s safe to rebuild his own empire, Carlyle’s blackmailing of city officials with the rainy season protections, Jaidee’s decision to anger Trade; the list is unending. Ironically, it seems that the only person in this novel with a shred of morality left is the soulless creature, Emiko. 

The book’s ending really made me rethink my perspective on this futuristic world and its protagonists. The old gaijin in the boat’s proposal seems to take generipping to a new level. However, with the amount of genetic modifications to all other living-creatures in this futuristic world, it is surprising to me that generippers had not yet decided to create humans themselves in test tubes. Yes, they do, in a way, to create New People like Emiko, but they do not consider them to be “real” people with souls and free will. Emiko appears to discover her own free will throughout the story, a flaw by her designers. But this gaijin’s proposal makes complete sense in their world: create blister rust and other disease resistant people, rather than resistant foods. With this world’s mixed-up sense of reality and morality, test tube humans do not seem like a far-off possibility for the survival of their species. If they could truly design humans to the specifications necessary, as the gaijin proposed, their world would be better for it.


This leads me to my final point. The technology in this novel is baffling with the mix of futuristic and regressive technologies. These people live in a post-petroleum world, counting carbon credits and living simply. Even the richest people in the novel seem to live simply with little carbon emissions, like Carlyle and Anderson. I do not understand why their army operated off of petroleum and coal (relatively “ancient” technologies in their world) but yet they have the ability to gene rip nearly every species. Their biotechnology seems to be far more advanced than their energy technology. I would say that their society lives the way they do based off of our generation’s destruction (maybe the expansion) but there was simply not enough background information to understand how the destruction was caused.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, I found myself wanting more of the backstory of this world (then again I am like history...). The best reason I could come up with as to why there was this dichotomy in terms of technology is that calories themselves (whether embodied in in oil or food) had become both scarce and important. Therefore they were captured by powerful interests and used for their purposes. Gene-ripping helped the calorie companies while major expansions in energy technology might hurt them by making their product (calories) abundant. Not saying it is convincing but I wonder what you think about this.

    Also, good point about Emiko. She does seem to be the only person not corrupted. Maybe souls are overrated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make such an interesting point about taking a different approach to human species survival. I can't lie when I say I don't think I really made that full connection of the "new people" physically being the new human race as a means for survival, versus just for genetic play. When I think about it in that perspective so much more makes sense about truly seeing this as a futuristic world. It's similar to the resource discussion we held in class today:typically we look at changing production, when Kahl brought up the point of changing consumption instead. With the idea of new people as a means for survival- I think it is interesting that none of the characters in the book really brought up that idea- perhaps showing that maybe our characters have a little more heart than they let on- that even they see gene-ripping humans as immorale to human race, so immoral that they can't see the answer for survival right beneath their nose? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that they saw it as too immoral or that they just held on to the feeling that they were superior to these "soulless" beings, even if they actually do have souls, as Emiko probably did. I think these "old people" or traditional humans are too fearful of what might happen if we begin engineering all humans (probably with good reason).

      Delete
  3. I wonder if, by making Emiko the least corrupt of all the characters, Bacigalupi was suggesting that the humans in the novel were so corrupt and weak that it was time to move on to a new age of humanity?
    I also think the point you make about the technology is really interesting. One would think that they would be more interested in focusing on alternative energy strategies rather than bio-engineering new humans, which are just more mouths to feed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took Emiko being the least corrupt to mean that Bacigalupi was suggesting that all humans at their core have the capacity to be good people. When you strip away bad experiences, vulnerabilities, and resorting to desperate measures, all people are inherently good. It is instinctual. However, with rising problems, people begin to adapt and change to them, often acting selfishly, and they change into corrupt individuals.

    Also, I thought maybe Emiko could represent childish innocence. Much of the detrimental effects of climate change are yet to be seen, and most likely experienced by our children and grandchildren. Emiko could be a representation of the innocence that we are choosing to exploit by not changing our behaviors that are causing climate change to occur.

    ReplyDelete